Advertisement

Judge to decide how Rideout murder suspects will be tried

May 19, 2017 09:39 PM

A judge will now decide whether the four people charged with murdering a Penfield father will be tried together or separately.

Investigators say Craig Rideout was strangled and his body dumped in Yates County. Rideout's two sons, Alex and Colin, his estranged wife Laura and her boyfriend Paul Tucci are charged in his death.

Advertisement – Content Continues Below

Friday was day two of a hearing to determine what evidence can and can't be used against these suspects when it comes to their full trial.

For the purposes of the pre-trial hearing, Colin, Alex and Laura Rideout, along with Paul Tucci were all on one side of the table. The judge will ultimately decide whether they're tried the same way in June.

Jennifer Lewke: "How do you prefer your client is tried? With the other co-defendants or individually?"

Mike Schanio, Paul Tucci's defense attorney: "Well, that's going to be up to the judge to see what he allows in as potential evidence in this case."

Some of that evidence includes recordings made by investigators who were interviewing the suspects both before and after Craig Rideout's body had been identified. The defense attorney says in most cases, their clients didn't know they were being recorded.

In one instance, Laura Rideout and Paul Tucci were recorded when they showed up at Rideout's town home during the missing person investigation.

In another instance, Colin and Alex were recorded when investigators say they were caught at Mendon Ponds Park disposing of evidence.

"The issue that's before the judge is whether or not these statements were voluntary and that's something we're trying to point out some holes that might have occurred during the process of them being questioned by state police and the sheriff's department," says Schanio.

In New York, consent from both parties is not needed to record a conversation but ultimately, it'll be up to the judge to decide whether these conversations can be used as evidence against the suspects. Until he rules, the district attorney's office isn't saying much.

"I'm sorry, I really can't get into the contents of the case or the hearing but we'll go forward on the 25th," says Tim Prosperi, assistant district attorney.

The hearing continues next week then the judge will make a decision as to what can and can't be used and whether these suspects will all be tried together or separately. The full trial or trials are expected to get underway on June 20.

Credits

Jennifer Lewke

Copyright 2017 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Advertisement
Advertisement

We no longer have Facebook comments on this site. Please visit our Facebook Page to join the conversation.