April 28, 2017 07:20 PM
This week’s Dirty Dining report features a popular downtown lunch spot. On Tuesday, it had to close its doors because health inspectors say patrons of a different sort had been eating lunch there too.
If location determines success, all should be sunny at Sol Burrito. It’s located at Edmonds Street and Monroe Avenue in Rochester, an area bustling with plenty of cars and foot traffic. But for three days, all was quiet on that corner. That's because Sol Burrito was closed by order of the Monroe County Department of Public Health. The reason? Mice.
Monroe County Health Commissioner Dr. Mike Mendoza says mice pose health risks to patrons particularly when mice are in the food storage and the food preparation areas. The owner of Sol Burrito, Mike Bremmer, confirms his restaurant was closed briefly because of mice.
“They found a dropping underneath the microwave," he told consumer investigator, Deanna Dewberry.
That's a place where food is prepared, so inspectors made the restaurant close down until it addressed the problem.
“It's pretty devastating," Bremmer acknowledged. "We had some structural problems and it was enabling mice to get into the building."
Bremmer says he worked with an exterminator to meticulously fill the cracks inside and outside the building. He and workers also scrubbed and disinfected. On Thursday, health inspectors gave them the green light to re-open.
According to health inspection records, Sol Burrito has had 16 critical violations in the last five years, but News10NBC investigators found no evidence the restaurant has been closed before. Bremmer says they’ve worked very hard to eradicate the problem.
Before you go out to eat, consider our advice. Here’s Deanna’s Do List.
1. Check the restaurants inspection record.
Updated: April 28, 2017 07:20 PM
Created: April 28, 2017 07:11 PM
Copyright 2017 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company