Candle starts apartment fire on North Goodman Street
Posted at: 11/15/2012 2:31 AM | Updated at: 11/15/2012 6:34 AM
Investigators say an apartment on North Goodman Street is a total loss after a candle was left burning inside the apartment.
Firefighters tell News10NBC a passerby called 911 around 11:30 p.m. after noticing smoke coming out of a window on North Goodman Street, near Pennsylvania Avenue.
Officials say when they got to the scene, the person who lives in the apartment was standing outside.
Investigators say the person had left the apartment without putting a candle out and returned to find the building on fire.
The unattended candle set fire to the bed and flames spread throughout the apartment.
The Red Cross is providing housing for the person who lived in the burned apartment.
Nobody was hurt and the rest of the building was empty.