Two RG&E employees save Rochester man from apartment fire
Posted at: 04/10/2013 2:45 PM | Updated at: 04/10/2013 6:38 PM
A Rochester man is crediting two Rochester Gas & Electric employees with saving his life after a fire broke out at his apartment on Weyl Street. It happened just before 2 p.m. Wednesday.
The resident, Harold Mathis, tells News10NBC when he realized the apartment building was on fire, it was too late for him to get out because the hallways and stairwell were filled with smoke.
Mathis said he went outside on his second-story patio and screamed for help. Efrain DeJesus and Harry Reese were driving by in a RG&E truck equipped with a ladder and stopped when they heard Mathis’ screams for help. DeJesus and Reese were able to help Mathis to safety.
No word on was caused the fire or if anyone else was home at the time.
"We are very proud of Effrain DeJesus, an RG&E field customer service rep and Harry Reese, an RG&E contractor who took customer service to a new level today by rescuing a Rochester man from a burning building. Their concern and quick action in an emergency helped prevent a serious injury or worse. Safety is always our #1 concern at RG&E, and we train our employees who are out in the field every day to be aware of their environment and to react and be safe. These two heroes demonstrated what RG&E is all about: good people doing great work in our community every day. "