Gas leak cause of Corning house explosion
Posted at: 08/03/2012 10:40 PM
| Updated at: 08/03/2012 11:25 PM
By: Associated Press | WHEC.com
An explosion ignited by a natural gas leak has destroyed a home in New York's Finger Lakes region, injuring a man and his grandson.
Corning Fire Chief John Tighe says 86-year-old Robert Young was at home with his 38-year-old grandson, Paul Young, when the house blew up Friday morning. Both men were pulled from the wreckage alive. They were in critical condition at a hospital Friday night.
The house near downtown Corning was reduced to a pile of debris. The blast also damaged a nearby home and blew out windows for blocks.
Tighe says the men were doing some plumbing work in the house when it exploded. The cause of the leak is under investigation.
Corning is 76 miles south of Rochester.