Elderly man injured in fire on Wilkins St. dies
Posted at: 10/17/2012 3:52 PM | Updated at: 10/17/2012 3:53 PM
An 85-year-old man who was seriously injured after a fire broke out at his home early Monday morning has died.
The fire broke out on Wilkins Street around 1:15am. When crews arrived on scene, they found Antonio Sotolongo on the second floor unconscious and without a pulse. Crews rescued Sotolongo and performed CPR and were able to get his heart started again. Sotolongo died Tuesday afternoon at Rochester General Hospital as a result of smoke inhalation.
Firefighters say the fire was accidental and electrical in nature. Their investigation determined that the fire was caused by an overloaded extension cord running under the bed. Firefighters say there were also no working smoke detectors in the upstairs apartment at the time.