LeRoy officials postpone Halloween parade
Posted at: 10/31/2012 5:43 PM
| Updated at: 10/31/2012 6:26 PM
By: Joangel Concepcion | WHEC.com
Superstorm Sandy is certainly raining on LeRoy's annual Halloween Parade this year. Organizers decided to cancel the festivities and the decision is getting mixed reviews from residents.
This parade has become a tradition in LeRoy since it began 60 years ago and many families were left scrounging for alternate plans this year. Officials say they had to pull the plug on the event because earlier in the week, they felt they didn't have a choice.
Officials in LeRoy had been keeping a close eye on Sandy and her aftermath. Officials decided to cancel the parade back on Monday, saying they rather be safe than sorry. Even though the village did not sustain any significant damage through out the storm, officials are sticking to their decision and will go ahead with the parade this Saturday.
The announcement didn't stop people from loading up on candy and it didn't stop several of kids from celebrating Halloween. Students in LeRoy still went to school dressed in their favorite costumes. Many kids said they were looking forward to the parade. Others are saying they will make the best of the popular holiday.
C.J. Cowell said, “I'm pretty bummed because there's no parade and I've been waiting for it for a long time.”
Tammy Schriber said, “My kids didn't even buy costumes because they were like, 'Oh it's going to be canceled since the weather' and then they decided that maybe they can do two Halloweens. They can trick or treat in Batavia and then come back to LeRoy to trick or treat.”
The LeRoy Central School District sent home notices with their students, informing parents about the change. The parade is expected to draw huge crowds over the weekend. Organizers hope to kick off the parade around 6:00pm Saturday evening. They say all of the festivities will go on as planned including lots of doughnuts and apple cider for the little ones.