Wegmans introduces "Fresh Cut Snacks"
Posted at: 08/27/2013 9:42 AM
Wegmans is now offering “Fresh Cut Snacks” just in time for the back-to school season.
The company says according to research, Americans eat more than 1,000 snacks a year and snacking accounts for 53-percent of all “eating occasions.” This, in part, was the motivation behind creating a fresh, healthy solution for its customers.
“Our people and our customers often tell us that healthy eating is important, but they struggle with finding the time to plan and prepare fresh, healthy choices,” says Tom Colopietro, category merchant at Wegmans. “We’re learning that for many customers, ready in a few minutes isn’t fast enough. What they’re really looking for is something that’s healthy, tastes good, and is ready to eat right away."
The “Fresh Cut Snacks” are $4 or less and range in calories from 280 to 520. The snacks are now available in the checkout lanes near the Market Café.
Some combinations include:
- Cut carrots and hummus dip, with organic turkey strips and whole-grain crackers
- Raw veggies (like carrot, bell pepper and jicama sticks and snap peas) plus roasted red pepper hummus dip
- Carrot and celery sticks and hummus dip
- Apple slices and celery sticks, with organic peanut butter and whole grain rice cakes
- Mixed fresh fruit cup – berries, pineapple, cantaloupe and honeydew melon
- Blueberry Greek Yogurt Parfait
- Mixed dried fruit and nut cups