Updated: 08/29/2013 5:27 PM
Created: 08/29/2013 2:35 AM WHEC.com
Prosecutors are hoping it's a sentence that will help him grow into a different person. On Thursday, the teenager who drove into the back of a school bus, injuring three of his friends, was sentenced.
John Zakhary will spend four weekends in jail. He'll also serve 12 work weekends, community service and will be on probation for five years. He was behind the wheel when that car crashed into the bus on Warren Avenue last October. One of his passengers suffered serious injuries.
In court Thursday, Zakhary was declared a youthful offender.
Karin Intermill, Assistant District Attorney, said, "He will not have to report a criminal conviction for college applications, job applications but he is still under all these consequences, the probation and so forth that are part of his sentence. It gives him a chance to move forward with his life hopefully in a positive direction but at the same time holds him accountable for his actions."
The sentence came after a plea deal that was reached last month. The assistant district attorney says that deal came after lenghty discussions with Zakhary, his family, lawyers and the judge. The families of the victims agreed to the sentence.