Updated: 10/11/2013 12:14 PM
Created: 10/11/2013 11:45 AM WHEC.com
After years of controversy, there is finally movement at the Medley Center site in Irondequoit.
The first stages of demolition began Friday, bringing down one of the outside buildings on the property. Demolition was supposed to start last week, but gas lines had to be dismantled before it could start.
The owner of the property, Scott Congel, has received millions of dollars in tax breaks from the town, Monroe County and the East Irondequoit School District, to turn the nearly empty mall into a multi- million dollar mixed use complex. The supervisor says the demolition is the next step.
Mary Joyce D'Aurizio, Town of Irondequoit Supervisor, said, “What is important to a town is a positive image and part of that image is what appears anesthetically pleasing to our residents and those who pass through. This is one of our objectives in constantly making our town the diamond that it is."
The next phase of demolition is tearing down a house on the property.