Updated: 10/16/2013 9:17 AM
Created: 10/16/2013 4:24 AM WHEC.com
Firefighters say a Brighton family's dogs are the reason they were able to escape a house fire. Investigators say smoke detectors in the house on Furlong Road were working, but the residents did not hear them. The dogs woke up the two adults, who were able to make it out safely.
Firefighters say an electric problem in the back of the house caused the fire around 2 a.m. Wednesday. When firefighters arrived the flames had spread to the ceiling.
Officials say house is badly damaged. The Red Cross is helping two adults find a place to stay.