Updated: 11/13/2013 4:17 PM
Created: 11/12/2013 3:37 AM WHEC.com
By: Associated Press
Authorities say an 87-year-old man died after he got trapped during a fire inside his home. Batavia's Fire Chief says the fire was reported around 2:00a.m. at the home of George and Candee McConnell.
Officials say police officers helped Candee get out the back door of the house. Her husband's body was found in an upstairs bedroom.
The fire chief says the fire started in the living room. No word yet on a cause.
Neighbors say George was retired from the U.S. Post Office.
Sue Webster said, "When I walked over, you could see flames out of the side of the house - smoke was billowing up on the top and all that. I had already known when the neighbor called that George had passed away. And I was very upset. It's just it's hard."
The McConnells were involved with the SPCA, an animal rescue. 20 cats were in the home. Several of them were saved.