Created: 01/02/2014 7:07 AM WHEC.com
Researchers from the University at Buffalo found bacteria that cause two common illnesses can survive on objects like toys longer than we think.
The study shows bacteria responsible for ear infections and strep throat can live on hard to clean items like stuffed animals for several hours. In the past, medical experts said the bacteria died shortly after leaving the body.
Researchers say washing your hands and wiping down surfaces with soap and hot water are essential ways to avoid getting sick.