Updated: 01/06/2014 3:48 PM
Created: 01/06/2014 3:43 PM WHEC.com
Mayor Lovely Warren has issued a Heat Sweep until further notice due to the forecasted extreme low temperatures and conditions.
A Heat Sweep is put in place when temperatures drop to below normal and it is anticipated that citizens may need shelter from the cold due to a variety of conditions such as power outages, closed or blocked roads and broken furnaces.
The City's Heat Sweep program, in partnership with the American Red Cross of Greater Rochester, will provide temporary emergency shelter at the following City Recreation and Community Centers:
* Adams Street Community Center: 85 Adams St.;
* Avenue D Community Center: 200 Avenue D;
* Campbell Street Community Center: 524 Campbell St.;
* Carter Street Community Center: 500 Carter St.;
* David F. Gantt Community Center: 700 North St.;
* Edgerton Community Center: 41 Backus St.;
* Flint Street Community Center: 271 Flint St.;
* South Avenue Community Center: 999 South Ave.; and
* Thomas P. Ryan Community Center: 530 Webster Ave.
During a Heat Sweep, the Red Cross is in contact with established shelters and community organizations to help meet the needs of the homeless.
The city is also reminding residents to limit the amount of time spent outdoors and cover any exposed skin, check on the safety of elderly family and neighbors, not to leave pets outside and never use stoves or other cooking appliances to heat your home.
City residents are asked to call 311 if they lose heat or would like to report a neighbor or family member who needs assistance during this time.