Created: 01/15/2014 2:19 PM WHEC.com
Residents in the town of Seneca Falls Water District, Cayuga Lake Water District and Hamlet of Canoga are requested by Seneca County Health Department to conserve water.
Officials say, due to a water main break, the water treatment plant cannot produce water. To avoid an emergency situation, all residents in the Seneca Falls Water District, Cayuga Lake Water District and Hamlet of Canoga are asked to conserve water.
Guidelines to save water include:
1. Use you dishwasher and washing machine only for full loads.
2. If you wash your dishes by hand, do not leave the water running for rinsing.
3. Keep a bottle of drinking water in the refrigerator to keep it cool instead of running the water.
4. Use of disposable/single service dinnerware, cups and utensils will minimize dishes that need to be washed.
5. Check faucets and pipes for leaks. Leaks waste water 24 hours a day, seven days a week and often can be repaired with only an inexpensive washer.
6. Check you toilets for leaks. To test for leaks, add a small amount of food coloring to the toilet tank. If, without flushing, the color begins to appear in the bowl, you have a leak that should be repaired immediately.
7. Take shorter showers. Long showers can waste five to ten gallons every extra minute.
8. Do not leave water running while brushing your teeth.
9. Do not wash your car.