QUICK LINKS:

Carbon monoxide detected at NY mall, 1 dead

Created: 02/22/2014 11:03 PM WHEC.com
By: Associated Press

A hospital spokeswoman says a man has died after being overcome by carbon monoxide at a New York mall.
    
Huntington Hospital spokeswoman Julie Robinson-Tingue says the man was one of 10 people brought in after the carbon monoxide incident Saturday at the Walt Whitman Shops in Huntington Station on Long Island.  The hospital did not immediately release any information about the man.
    
Suffolk County police earlier said three officers were among those overcome by carbon monoxide at the mall, which is about 35 miles east of New York City. They responded to a call shortly after 6 p.m.
    
Robinson-Tingue said three people were being treated at the hospital and the others have been discharged.
    
Several restaurants at the mall were evacuated as a precaution.
    
The Walt Whitman Shops consists of more than 80 stores, including anchors Bloomingdale's, Lord & Taylor, Macy's and Saks Fifth Avenue.
 



News10NBC/WHEC-TV welcomes your opinion and interaction on our website, but please remember to keep it clean. If you're advertising for another business, being profane, vulgar or slanderous your post will be deleted. By commenting on this website, you agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Use. Comments are not pre-screened before they posted.



Rochester

Few Clouds
60°
65° | 38°
  • Feels like: 60° F
  • Wind: SE 10mph
  • Humidity: 46%
  • Sat Mostly cloudy
    77° | 57°
  • Sun Showers and thunderstorms
    72° | 62°
  • Mon Times of sun and clouds
    62° | 50°
  • Tue Times of sun and clouds
    59° | 45°