QUICK LINKS:

Faulty pipe led to NY mall carbon monoxide leak

Created: 02/23/2014 5:39 PM WHEC.com
By: Associated Press

A faulty water heater flue pipe caused the carbon monoxide leak that led to a restaurant manager's death at a New York mall and sent more than two dozen people to hospitals.
    
Huntington Chief Fire Marshal Terence McNally says the fumes were circulated in the basement by the ventilation systems at the Legal Sea Foods restaurant at the Walt Whitman Shops on Long Island.
    
Fifty-five-year-old restaurant manager Steven Nelson was found dead in the basement on Saturday night.
    
McNally said Sunday the restaurant was inspected last March, and no problems found. Another inspection was scheduled for next month.
    
The company has been issued a citation for defective equipment. McNally says the flue pipe will have to be repaired before the restaurant can re-open.



News10NBC/WHEC-TV welcomes your opinion and interaction on our website, but please remember to keep it clean. If you're advertising for another business, being profane, vulgar or slanderous your post will be deleted. By commenting on this website, you agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Use. Comments are not pre-screened before they posted.



Frost Advisory

NY AREAS AFFECTED: Allegany; Cattaraugus; Wyoming
Expires: 9/15/2014 8:00 AM

Rochester

Scattered Clouds
52°
60° | 44°
  • Feels like: 52° F
  • Wind: 0mph
  • Humidity: 71%
  • Mon Partly cloudy
    67° | 40°
  • Tue Mix of sun and clouds
    65° | 51°
  • Wed Mix of sun and clouds
    66° | 45°
  • Thu Partly cloudy
    60° | 44°