Created: 03/08/2014 10:41 PM WHEC.com
A homeowner and their nine dogs are safe after a fire damaged their Ontario County home Saturday morning.
Crews were called to the scene on Lester Road in Phelps around 10:30 a.m. Sheriff's deputies and firefighters say they were able to rescue the seven puppies and two adult dogs from the home. Investigators say the fire was started when a cigarette was placed in a plastic container on the back porch. The home sustained extensive damage. The Red Cross is currently assisting the homeowner and animals.