Updated: 03/10/2014 6:02 PM
Created: 03/10/2014 6:40 AM WHEC.com
By: Pat Taney
A Genesee County community is coming together to help six people who barely escaped a fire in their apartment building. It happened on Route 20 in the Town of Darien around 4:30 a.m. News10NBC learned one of those tenants, a volunteer firefighter, sprang into action.
Firefighters spent much of the day in Darien. The flames have been extinguished, but the nightmare for these who lived here just beginning.
No one was trapped inside, thanks in part to Joshua Reeb. He’s a tenant and Darien Volunteer Firefighter. He alerted the other tenants, six in total.
Joshua Reeb said, “I bust out yelling, ‘Ashleigh, get up, go to fire escape.’”
Reeb made sure they all got out. Then he got right to work.
Reeb said, “We just got out, went to the hall, got the doors open and the trucks started.”
Reeb’s fellow firefighters weren’t far behind.
The blaze started in the downstairs garage. The flames quickly ripped through the building, leaving little behind. Two tenants told investigators they could smell gasoline and when they went downstairs, they noticed the garage floor was wet. Deputies say the furnace turned on and that may have ignited the gasoline vapor. But still they’re counting their blessings. They are grateful for Reeb’s expertise and the help this community has already pledged.
Ashleigh Dominak, said, “It's a small town. I have already had phone calls, what size clothes? Do you need anything?”
Those residents not only getting help from the community, but the Salvation Army is also providing assistance.