QUICK LINKS:

Officials: Rochester apartment fire caused by food left on stove

Updated: 04/15/2014 6:18 AM
Created: 04/15/2014 4:57 AM WHEC.com

More than a dozen people are back in their apartments Tuesday after an early morning fire on Rochester's north east side.

Crews were called to the scene on Garson Avenue near Merchants Road around 3:15 a.m. after firefighters say food left on a stove caught on fire.

Officials say smoke filled a basement-level apartment, forcing people in 15 other apartments to evacuate.  Firefighters say some people had to stand outside for an hour. Officials say no one was hurt. Firefighters say the person who lives in the apartment where the fire started cannot return yet.





News10NBC/WHEC-TV welcomes your opinion and interaction on our website, but please remember to keep it clean. If you're advertising for another business, being profane, vulgar or slanderous your post will be deleted. By commenting on this website, you agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Use. Comments are not pre-screened before they posted.

Winter Weather Advisory

NY AREAS AFFECTED: Cattaraugus; Chautauqua; Southern Erie; Wyoming
Expires: 1/30/2015 10:00 AM

Rochester

Clear
25°
25° | 3°
  • Feels like: 19° F
  • Wind: W 5mph
  • Humidity: 43%
  • Thu Snow changing to a wintry mix
    32° | 8°
  • Fri Mostly cloudy and windy with snow showers
    15° | 5°
  • Sat Mostly cloudy
    19° | 0°
  • Sun Mostly cloudy
    24° | 9°