Updated: 04/21/2014 7:28 AM
Created: 04/20/2014 8:39 PM WHEC.com
By: Justin Granit
On April 15, 2013, the city of Boston, the running community and the nation changed forever. Thousands of runners and spectators gathered to celebrate achievement when two bombs exploded on Boylston Street, killing three people and injuring hundreds of others.
A year later and the memories are still vivid, but Boston has proved its strength. The Rochester runners who participate in the marathon are no different.
Dave Coyne said he was two blocks away from the finish line when the first bomb went off. The Avon native will be back for his 43rd Boston Marathon to finish the race he wasn’t able to complete last year.
“I finally got to talk to one of the kids, and I said how close were you to the bomb? He said look, and he was covered with other people’s blood. He has shrapnel marks on his forehead head and on his head. That affected me probably more than anything else,” said Coyne.
Matt Kellman was able finish the race last year. His wife Karin was home in Penfield watching on TV as the bombs went off.
“I was trying to call him, and people were trying to call me. It was really scary. I didn’t know whether he was dead or alive,” said Karin Kellman.
Patrick Cutter will run the 26.2 miles for his cousins Jon and Jason who have a fatal disease. Cutter runs for a cure.
“It makes you embrace life for what you have. They only have so long. It’s very eye opening, and I am thankful they have been around as long as they have,” said Cutter.
Jason McElwain, Greece Athena’s former autistic basketball star, will also run the marathon this year.
“I woke up one day, and I said I was going to finish a marathon. I’m representing autism and the victims of last year’s bombing,” said McElwain.
“We’re all still healing, and I think this year’s race will put the cap on that. We’re going to run Boston strong,” said Coyne.