Created: 04/22/2014 11:48 AM WHEC.com
By: Associated Press
A New York hospital is banning electronic cigarettes after a patient on oxygen was burned by a fire that erupted while she was puffing on one of the devices.
Syracuse Fire Department investigator Joe Galloway tells The Post-Standard the exact cause of last month's fire at St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center has not yet been determined. But he says the patient had a battery-powered e-cigarette, which uses a heating element to vaporize nicotine.
Hospital officials have not identified the patient. They say she suffered first- and second-degree burns across her face, but is home and doing well.
Since the fire, St. Joseph's officials have told patients they aren't allowed to use e-cigarettes. The hospital also prohibits tobacco use on its campus.