Updated: 06/09/2014 11:38 AM
Created: 06/09/2014 10:55 AM WHEC.com
Nine teenagers have been arrested following an incident at the Medley Centre in Irondequoit Sunday night.
Irondequoit Police say an observant citizen called 911 to report the burglary in progress at the former mall around 8:30 p.m. When officers arrived, police say they found nine teens inside the building. Police say the teens caused property damage.
Nineteen-year-old Nicholas Lane, 18-year-old Artar Gornick, 17-year-old Nico Piacentini, 17-year-old Jeffery Palermo, 17-year-old Cesar Surillo, 17-year-old Jessica Fontan, 17-year-old Michael Oberer, 16-year-old Shanley Austin and one juvenile are charged with third-degree burglary and second-degree criminal mischief.
Medley Centre owner Scott Congel said, "We are thankful to the Irondequoit Police, Rochester Police Department, and whomever called 911 to report the break in at Medley Centre. As we have said to the media and town in the past, we have been aware of a series of break ins at the mall. We have experienced cut locks, water being turned on that was previously turned off, used condoms in the play area, and other obvious disturbances to the property. It is, and always has been our desire to complete this billion dollar project. We look forward to resolving the law suits we have filed so that we are allowed to continue with this massive development project. Hopefully, with increased police surveillance, these episodes will stop."