Updated: 06/17/2014 5:13 PM
Created: 06/17/2014 5:07 AM WHEC.com
By: Brett Davidsen
One week ago Sunday night, police say someone noticed something suspicious at Medley Center and called 911. When officers arrived, they say they found nine teens had broken in and caused damage. Eight of those teens appeared in court Tuesday.
The owner of the Medley Centre had been saying for several months that people had been breaking into the empty mall. Scott Congel blamed vandals for some of the damage inside that was believed to be the result of flooding due to broken water pipes.
Last week, nine teenagers were caught inside the mall. Eight of those teens were in Irondequoit Town Court Tuesday afternoon, charged with burglary and criminal mischief. They were all offered plea deals and given one week to decide. The deal would grant them youthful offender status, reduce the charges to misdemeanors and seal their records. The teens would also be required to do 80 hours of community service and pay for any damage to the mall. None of the eight defendants spoke as they left court today.
We did catch up with an attorney for one of the teens who said they are prepared to discuss their options. Frank Ciardi said, "At this point, I think there's defenses my client may have. I'm going to explore those opportunities, speak to the district attorney's office and see what we can do."
Congel says in the past they had experienced cut locks, water being turned on that was previously turned off and other obvious disturbances inside. Following the arrests, Congel said he hoped that with increased police surveillance the break-ins would stop.