Created: 06/21/2014 1:45 PM WHEC.com
The Batavia Fire Department says 13 people were displaced by an overnight fire at an apartment building.
Captain Craig Williams, of the Batavia Fire Department tells News10NBC the fire started around 10:45 p.m. Friday night at the building on North Spruce Street. He tells us that when crews arrived they saw fire coming from a room on the second floor. He says crews were able to put the fire out pretty quickly, but six apartments in total were damaged.
Most of the damaged occurred in two apartments due to flames, however four others had smoke and water damage.
Captain Williams says the blaze started as a grease fire and is considered accidental. Firefighters say when putting out a grease fire you should never use water. Instead, baking soda or covering the pan will extinguish the fire.