Updated: 08/12/2014 1:59 PM
Created: 08/11/2014 11:11 PM WHEC.com
GAME 1 (Wings 3-0 win):
· The Wings threw their 22nd no-hitter in team history (17th since they became the Red Wings in 1929) – the most of any IL team. The Wings have also had the most no-hitters thrown against them in IL history.
· It was Rochester’s first no-hitter since July 6, 2011 vs. Lehigh Valley when four pitchers combined on it (Jeff Manship, Jake Stevens, Kyle Waldrop & Jim Hoey).
· It was only the 2nd combined no-hitter in franchise history (also, 7/6/11 vs. LHV).
· It was the 11th 9-inning no-hitter in franchise history and just the 3rd since 1974.
· It was the 3rd no-hitter in the IL this season – Tyler Cloyd of COL no-hit LOU on 7/30 and Mike Montgomery and Brad Boxberger of DUR no-hit SWB on 4/26. (Montgomery started Game 2 tonight).
· It was the 13th 9-inning no-hitter in the IL since 2000.
TREVOR MAY (currently with the Minnesota Twins) tossed the first 3 innings (2 BB & 3 SO) of the no-hitter on July 24 at Durham Bulls Athletic Park before the game was called due to rain…LOGAN DARNELL picked it up in the 4th on Monday and retired the first 16 he faced before allowing a one-out walk to Hak-Ju Lee in the 9th inning. However, he would induce Justin Christian to ground into a game-ending 5-4-3 double play. May and Darnell combined to walk 3 and face just 2 over the minimum.
GAME 2 (Wings 5-4 win):
CHRIS COLABELLO (1-for-2; HR, RBI, BB) took a 3-0 pitch deep down the left field line for his 7th home run with the Wings this season and his first since being optioned down from Minnesota on Saturday. He now has 4 HR over his last 3 home games at Frontier Field after hitting his previous 12 Triple-A homers on the road.
VIRGIL VASQUEZ made his first appearance for the Red Wings this season, throwing five innings allowing four runs on five hits and one walk while striking out one over his 82-pitch outing (48 strikes). All of the damage came on a Wil Myers grand slam in the 5th inning – the first allowed by the Wings this season (the Wings have hit 8 GS)…Vasquez picked up the win as LESTER OLIVEROS closed out the final two innings to earn his third save. Oliveros has now turned in 11.0 straight scoreless innings over his last 6 outings. The victory was Vasquez’s first with the Wings since August 2, 2013.
DOUG BERNIER (1-for-4; 2 RBI) drove in a pair of runs with a single in the second inning extending his team-high and career-high RBI total to 51 on the season. He now has 92 RBI over his first 196 games with the Red Wings after having only 74 in 301 previous IL games with SWB and IND.
JOSMIL PINTO (1-for-3; 3B, 2 RBI) tripled into the right field gap to score two runs in the 4th inning – the 14th of his career and the first since April 8, 2013 with New Britain. Pinto has now collected 22 RBI over his last 20 games with Rochester.
WILKIN RAMIREZ (2-for-3; R) extended his hit streak to 8 games, over which he’s hitting .371 (13-for-35)…Prior to the streak he was hitting only .145 over his previous 17 games
DEIBINSON ROMERO (1-for-2; 2 R, BB) extended his home on-base streak to 28 games here at Frontier Field – one shy of tying the IL season-high set by SYR’s Steven Souza Jr…Over the last 28 games at Frontier Field, Romero is hitting .326 (30-92) with an OBP of over .440.
THE WINGS have now won 13 of their last 18 at Frontier Field to improve their IL-best home mark to 39-20.