Created: 08/12/2014 12:38 PM WHEC.com
Another legal hurdle for a man whose double murder conviction was recently vacated.
Tuesday morning, we learned the immigration status of Charles Pierre is in question. That could prevent him from potentially being free on bail. A new trial date has been pushed back to February.
Prosecutors say before Pierre was convicted of killing two people and setting their home on fire, he faced possible deportation. We're told he's an undocumented immigrant from Trinidad. Prosecutors say if he is released, he could face deportation again.
Pierre's conviction was vacated last month based on new evidence -- the most compelling was a confession by another man. Darrell Boyd allegedly admitted the crime to his wife.
Monroe County District Attorney Brian Green said, “There's been no indication that he's an innocent man. There’s no evidence anywhere that he didn't have anything to do with this besides Mr. Boyd's confession but there's no physical evidence to corroborate that.”
Pierre’s attorney, Van White said, “They're really digging in. I worry they're not searching for the truth or a way to confirm the prior verdict.”
His new trial has been set for February 9, 2015.