After nearly 48 hours, power comes back on for Greece couple

GREECE, N.Y. (WHEC) — As strong winds swept through Monroe County, there were numerous reports of poles and trees crashing down came in.

In Greece, one tree took out power lines for one neighborhood.

“At about 5 p.m. on Saturday, the wind picked up,” said Greece resident Diane Kowalski. “We heard a really big gust and all of a sudden my husband and I happened to be looking outside the window, and we heard a crack and saw this big tree come over.”

Kowalski and her husband, Rich, live next door where part of the big tree fell on their property.

“It knocked down the pole into our fence. All the wires came down… everything,” Diane said.

As the result, the tree knocked out power for the couple, among other residents, and for nearly 48 hours, they were without power.

“It’s been cold. It’s actually warmer outside than it is inside today because of the sun. That’s why I went out for a walk. It’s been very, very cold,” she added.

Diane and Rich were trying to keep themselves warm and occupied until the power came on back on, which didn’t happen until approximately 3:30 p.m. Monday afternoon.

“We’ve been taking breaks and going for something to eat…going over to Tim Horton’s for a cup of coffee – whatever we can do to keep warm,” Diane said.

In the aftermath of the storm, utility crews who she says are contractors for RG&E have been working to not only restore the power but also to fix the dangerous situation in her and her next-door neighbor’s backyard.

“It is what it is. We have to wait until they get everything to work. They’re working as hard as they can,” Diane added.

Although cold and powerless, Diane feels fortunate about her and her husband’s situation.

“The way I look at it is this; we are a lot better off than the poor people in Kentucky. My heart goes out to all of them. This is nothing compared to what they’re going through,” Diane said.

RG&E says it expects to have about 95% of its customers restored by 11:30 p.m. Monday. The company also advised people to stay away from downed wires and to report them to RG&E or 911.