Consumer Alert: The 5 things you need to do to save money at the grocery store
ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WHEC) — Your consumer alert Monday is all about your grocery bill. From January of 2020 to November of last year, the price of beef increased a whopping 27.4%.
Monday the president announced he’s allocating one billion in funding from the American Rescue Plan to independent meat producers. That’s because he says a meat monopoly is driving up the price you pay at the grocery store. Four huge meatpackers control 85% of meat processing in the United States. The president believes helping independent companies grow their business will increase competition and bring down the price you pay at the store.
But big meatpackers say the president has it all wrong. The North American Meat Institute says market forces are driving up prices. They point to the skyrocketing costs of labor and fuel as well as supply chain shortages. Big meatpackers claim the president’s plan will drive up the price you pay even more.
One thing is certain: We’re all paying more now and we’re likely to pay even more in the year ahead.
CNBC analysts expect grocery prices to continue to spike in the months ahead.
Here’s Deanna’s Do List to save on groceries as well as the best rebate apps for groceries.
- Shop on Wednesday morning. The new deals will be starting and grocers often continue to honor the old deals the week before.
- Find out when your store does meat markdowns.
- Tip-toe and squat. That’s because more expensive name brands are usually at eye level. The less expensive products are usually on high or low shelves.
- Buy frozen veggies. They’re cheaper, have the same nutritional value, and last longer.
- Buy your staples at discount grocers. The Today Show recently released a list of the 13 cheapest grocery stores in the country. We have four of them in the Rochester area: Aldi’s, Walmart, Costco, and Trader Joe’s.
Rebate apps are great because they actually pay you to shop. Here’s a list of some of them:
- Ibotta: iOS and Android
- Dosh: iOS and Android
- Checkout 51: iOS and Android
- Coupons.com: iOS and Android
- Receipt Hog: iOS and Android