Crews respond to gas leak on Lyell Avenue
[anvplayer video=”5080901″ station=”998131″]
ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WHEC) — A gas leak in a vacant mini-mart shut down part of Lyell Avenue in Rochester Thursday.
Crews responded just before noon for reports of an odor of natural gas coming from inside.
They set up a perimeter, closing down part of Lyell between Dewey and Saratoga avenues and had customers evacuate the nearby Family Dollar while employees sheltered in place.
The high levels of gas were eventually fumed out with the help of the building’s owner and a water-powered fan.
Crews found the building had been vandalized and someone stole copper and gas pipes, causing the natural gas leak.