DC court appearance delayed for accused US Capitol attacker Cody Mattice
ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WHEC)— The Hilton man accused of pepper-spraying police during the United States Capitol riot was due back in court Thursday morning, but it didn’t happen.
The attorney for Cody Mattice told News10NBC the appearance was delayed because Mattice has not yet made it to Washington, D.C. after he was ordered to be transferred there. Last week, a judge in D.C. ruled he should remain in custody because he has no remorse, and is a danger to the community.
The defense argues Mattice was at the Capitol to shake up the government, not to fight with officers. The prosecution says he admitted to police he used pepper spray, and claims he even sent a text message to a relative saying he– "maced a cop."
Just spoke Mattice’s attorney Thomas Abbenante. He tells me that Mattice has not yet made it to DC after the order to transfer him there by Judge Howell. A hearing will be scheduled once he makes it to DC.— Ray Montinarello (@rmontinarello) October 28, 2021
Once Mattice arrives in D.C. his hearing will be scheduled. The attorney declined further comment to News10NBC.