Demonstration in Rochester continues, demanding justice for Daniel Prude

[anvplayer video=”4961523″ station=”998131″]

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WHEC) — The 11th night of demonstrations since Daniel Prude’s death became public wrapped up just before 2 a.m. Sunday, following a five-hour standoff between police and protesters.

Organizers are vowing to continue protesting even as demonstrators say while exercising their right to protest, officers are using unnecessary force against them.

Specifically, at demonstrations from this weekend.

Demonstrators marched to Wilder and Child streets,where they were greeted by a large number of police officers and state troopers.

Protesters wanted to march forward and law enforcement would not let them, warning them several times that they were unlawfully gathering in the street and if they did not move to the sidewalk they would be arrested.

Protesters say they were approached with nightsticks and pushed over or tackled to the ground by police officers.

At one point, authorities drove a police vehicle into the crowd, forcing them back from the intersection. Police released a statement saying they didn’t want protesters to cross the bridge. On the other side is a police substation.

Demonstrators carried umbrellas or wore helmets to protect themselves from pepper balls that were released into the crowd. Some protesters say they were hit with tear gas.

"Peaceful protests and y’all show up like a small militia," a protester said. "To do what? To do what? To do what? Hurt these people?"

Near the end, a protester appeared to throw a bottle, and police threw something into the crowd.

Rochester Police say agitators moved to within five to 10 feet of the officers, at which time it became an officer safety issue. After numerous verbal warnings that police say were ignored by the crowd, officers moved in formation to approximately 20 feet to the other side of the intersection, creating more distance for officer safety.

During this movement, officers began to take bottles, rocks and eggs from the crowd.

The protesters left the area, promising to keep marching to seek justice for Prude.

According to police, officers arrested Nicholas Wilt, 50, for unlawful assembly and resisting arrest, Richard Yaniak, 37, for unlawful assembly and inciting a riot and Ashley Moore, 34, for harassment.

Click here for more on the investigation into Prude’s death.