Experts warn inhaling hydrogen peroxide for COVID-19 is dangerous

(WHEC) – A dangerous at-home treatment for COVID-19 is going around social media.

Some people have started inhaling hydrogen peroxide through a nebulizer. The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America has had to put out a warning against nebulizing hydrogen peroxide.

According to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry:

"Hydrogen peroxide can be toxic if ingested, inhaled, or by contact with the skin or eyes. Inhalation of household strength hydrogen peroxide (3%) can cause respiratory irritation. Exposure to household strength hydrogen peroxide can cause mild ocular irritation. Inhalation of vapors from concentrated (higher than 10%) solutions may result in severe pulmonary irritation."

Hydrogen peroxide should only be used to kill the COVID-19 virus on surfaces.