Gov. Hochul responds to bail reform reports
ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WHEC) — Bail reform has been a hot topic in New York for months. We found out big changes could be coming.
Last week, The New York Post reported on a leaked document from the Governor’s Office laying out the plans. On Monday, Gov. Kathy Hochul responded to questions about the plan.
"It’s not accurate that was leaked from our office," Hochul said. "We’ve been very clear about that because we’ve been working on this for a long time."
Hochul said she’s been trying to work on bail reform with key players behind the scenes.
According to the leaked document shared by The New York Post, under the Governor’s plan, there would be several changes to bail reform. Judges would be able to set bail for repeat offenders charged with serious crimes. They could set bail on gun cases that don’t qualify now, and it would change how teenagers under 18 will be handled.
Hochul said she shares concerns about public safety in the state.
"That’s why we’re working with my team and working with the legislators to craft a position and a policy and work toward getting it in the budget," Hochul said. "I have also the safety of New Yorkers at stake as well as protecting the rights of individuals who are accused of crimes. I will strike the right balance in what we’re doing here."
Of course, you have passionate people on both sides of the issue: Republicans and law enforcement who want bail reform completely overhauled and advocates and progressives who don’t want any changes.
We’ll see what happens in the next 10 days. The budget is due April 1.