MCSO: Deputy hit, killed man crossing the road in Perinton

[anvplayer video=”5078433″ station=”998131″]

PERINTON, N.Y. (WHEC) — The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office confirmed a deputy hit and killed a Perinton man with his patrol car as the man crossed a road in the town Friday morning.

Chief Deputy Michael Fowler told reporters the deputy was heading west on Pittsford Palmyra Road (State Highway 31) around 2:30 a.m. when the crash happened near the intersection of 31 at Moseley Road (Rt.250). Fowler said the deputy was driving when he turned his focus to a nearby Chase Bank for what he believed was a suspicious vehicle parked there.

That’s when Fowler said the deputy hit the man, who is described as being 32 years old.

The deputy immediately stopped his patrol car and turned on his body-worn camera as he went out to help give medical aid to the man. Fowler said the man was taken to Strong Memorial Hospital, where he later died.

[anvplayer video=”5078339″ station=”998131″]

Fowler said he has reviewed the body-worn camera footage, saying it’s clear the deputy was shaken up.

"A gentleman lost his life, and the deputy’s going to have to live with that," Fowler said. "It’s tough watching them go through this, you watch the body-worn camera and you can’t help but think about the 32-year-old gentleman who lost his life."

Additionally, Fowler, and Monroe County Sheriff Todd Baxter added condolences to the family, with Baxter calling the incident "truly tragic."

Fowler said the man’s family has been notified.

As per protocol, the deputy has been placed on "Administrative Assignment" and the New York State Attorney General’s Office has been contacted to begin its own investigation. Fowler said MCSO’s Major Crimes Unit will also conduct an investigation, but called it "cooperative."

For clarity’s sake: Fowler said It’s not known what speed the deputy was going, whether or not the man was in the crosswalk, and what color the traffic light was at the time of the crash. He added the man was crossing 31 from the west side of the intersection. Fowler said all of that information should be revealed once investigators get back information from the car’s black box.

Additionally, the deputy was screened on the scene to see if he was under the influence, that test came back negative.

Also, to be clear, MCSO said the deputy was not responding to a direct call, rather, he made an observation of a vehicle he deemed suspicious. Fowler could not comment on what happened with the believed suspicious vehicle, as he said all of the focus went off the car and went towards the man.

The marked patrol car could be seen getting towed away from the scene. The intersection and immediate road in all four directions were shut down for a couple of hours, but have since reopened.

As for the body-worn camera footage, Fowler said he does expect it to be released at some point, but that’s all pending discussion with the AG’s Office. Additionally, Fowler said the identities of the man, and the deputy will not be released for at least another 24 hours.

This is a developing story, stay with News10NBC for updates.