Monroe County fire marshals: Increasing number of fires due to missing, broken alarms

[anvplayer video=”5064819″ station=”998131″]

GATES, N.Y. (WHEC) — There’s been an increasing number of fires in our community because of broken or missing smoke and carbon monoxide alarms according to Monroe County fire marshals.

Wednesday they joined together with the Gates-Chili Fire District to say they’ll have a lot more of those all-important alarms to help people who need them.

It’s through the work of the Firefighter/Fire Educator Joseph Manuse Residential Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector Foundation.

Manuse died back in 2019, but his legacy of teaching people the importance of having those alarms lives on.

So, through money raised by the foundation, now firefighters will be able to provide complimentary alarms when they respond to an incident where no protection is currently present.