RCSD suspending proposal that would reconfigure or close 11 schools
ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WHEC) — On Wednesday, RCSD announced they are suspending a proposal from November 2021, and in turn will not close certain schools. However, the situation is still fluid.
The November 2021 proposal included the following schools on a list that would either reconfigure or close them altogether:
- Virgil I. Grissom School No. 7
- Charles T. Lunsford School No. 19
- Nathaniel Hawthorne School No. 25
- Adlai E. Stevenson School No. 29
- Andrew J. Townson School No. 39
- Montessori Academy School No. 53
- Flower City School No. 54
- RISE Community School No. 106
- Alice Holloway Young School of Excellence
- Northwest Junior High at Douglass
- Rochester International Academy
The reason for the initial proposal was due to a number of different reasons such as declining enrollment and under-performing schools.
Dr. Lesli Myers-Small, the RCSD superintendent, wrote in an update that "final determinations will be presented to the Board of Education for a vote in October 2022."