Red Cross needs blood donations this July
ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WHEC) – The American Red Cross is looking for people in the Rochester area to donate blood around and after the Fourth of July.
There is typically a big decline in blood and platelet donations during holiday weeks, around 21%. When blood donations drop, so does the availability of blood products for hospital patients. Donors can help ensure blood is ready when needed by making an appointment to give in the coming weeks.
You can visit the website for the Red Cross or call 1-800-733-2767 to schedule a donation. You can also look for local sites where you can donate on an interactive map. Some sites in the Rochester region include:
- The American Red Cross building on 1040 University Avenue
- Cafe 601 at the University of Rochester Medical Center
- Eastside YMCA on Fairport Nine Mile Point Road
- Perinton Blood Donation Center on Pittsford-Palmyra Road
- St. Paul Boulevard Fire Department
As a thank you for helping, everyone who donates blood through July 10th will receive an exclusive Red Cross recycled cotton tote bag, while supplies last.