RFD: Smoke alarm gets 8 people out of house on fire safely

[anvplayer video=”5050945″ station=”998131″]

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WHEC) — A working smoke alarm saved the lives of eight people living in a multi-unit home Wednesday morning.

The fire broke out at the home on Fairview Heights around 11 o’clock.

One of the tenants heard the smoke alarm going off in the front of her apartment and immediately got out and alerted all the other tenants in the building, who all got out safely as well.

It took firefighters about 30 minutes to get the fire, which was in the attic, under control.

There was major damage to the attic and the first and second floors and the basement sustained water damage.

The Rochester Fire Department is reminding any city resident who needs a smoke or carbon monoxide alarm to call 311.

The Red Cross is assisting seven adults and one child according to RFD.