Rochester ranks #2 in the nation for the biggest hike in used car prices in 2021, If you need a new car, here’s when to buy
ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WHEC) — According to the research arm of LendingTree, Rochester saw the second-highest yearly increase in the country in the amount consumers financed for a two-year-old used car.
Folks in the Flower City financed almost 36% more for vehicles this year over last year, but auto experts say don’t worry. The auto market usually cools when the weather does. January and February are among the best times to buy a new car. But according to the experts at Lending Tree, the six days after Christmas and before New Year’s Day is the very best time to hit the new car lot. Not only are car dealers trying to meet their monthly sales numbers, but also trying to get rid of last year’s inventory.
If you’re trying to buy a used car, Here’s Deanna’s Do List:
- Set a car-buying budget and don’t budge.
- Be able to walk away. Don’t get emotionally attached.
- Find affordable financing before you hit the lot. Because lenders consider used car financing riskier than new car financing, rates may be higher. Shop around. LendingTree, Bankrate and CarGurus are great places to start.
- Be prepared. Know your credit score. Also, research the Kelley Blue Book price for your car before you hit the lot.
- Get a vehicle history report. Carfax and AutoCheck are the best-known companies that sell history reports. New Yorkers can also get free vehicle information at NYVincheck.com.
Make sure the person selling the car owns the title to the car. Click here to do that.
- Ask a trusted mechanic to inspect the car before you buy. First, after you test drive the car, have it checked by a mechanic. I called 10 auto repair shops in the Rochester area this spring. All had good reputations with the BBB, and the price for a pre-purchase inspection runs from $20 to $130. And if that helps avoid buying a money pit, that’s a few bucks well spent.
- Goodyear, A+ BBB rating, $62.50
- Chili Automotive, A+ BBB rating, $125.0
- Independence Car Care Center, A+ BBB rating, $59/99
- Lewis General, A+ BBB rating, $19.95
- Vesa’s Automotive, A+ BBB rating, $55
- Rytek Automotive, A BBB rating, $80.00
- Schoen Auto, A+ BBB rating, $78 or $130
- Tony’s, A+ BBB rating, Manager didn’t quote a price.