RPD chief dispels speculation over the fatal shooting of Jalen Everett
ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WHEC) — Police have released more details in the shooting death of Jalen Everett. He had been charged in the 2015 Boys and Girls Club shooting but was later acquitted.
Police say the 24-year-old father of two was gunned down in the area of Dewey and Magee avenues around 8 p.m. Saturday. Everett was found in the passenger side of a vehicle with at least one gunshot wound to his upper body. He was taken to the hospital where he later died.
Dozens of people gathered at the scene Sunday, holding impromptu vigils while speakers prayed for peace.
Police are also worried about retaliation.
“There might be some people in the community that believe they want to take this incident into their own hands and commit future acts of retaliatory violence,” Rochester Police Chief La’Ron Singletary said. “What I’m asking is let us do our job, let us find the person responsible who pulled the trigger to justice.”
“There was a life lost,” Everett’s friend, Justin Morris said. “I think the concentration needs to be on how we combat this ongoing problem in our community.
Rochester Police are not releasing suspect information at this time. Investigations are asking anyone with information to call 911.