Several firefighters injured responding to 5th Street fire
ROCHESTER N.Y. (WHEC) — Several firefighters were injured while battling a house fire on 5th Street Tuesday morning. One firefighter was burned and others received electrical shocks.
The first calls for a house fire came around 12:30 a.m. When crews arrived, flames were shooting 20-30 feet in the air. A witness said there were multiple people trapped, including kids.
Firefighters made it to the second floor, then some were shocked by exposed wires. Firefighters didn’t find anyone inside the home.
The Rochester Fire Department said most responders were treated on the scene but one crew member went to Strong Hospital with second-degree burns to the arms. The crew eventually got the fire under control.
The cause is under investigation.
2 firefighters burned, 4 firefighters electrocuted while fighting this fire, all while the radio system we depend on had multiple problems. #Roc #Rochester https://t.co/wVJp3NXs4E— ROC Fire Fighters (@IAFF1071) May 17, 2022
News10NBC talked to fire officials about the challenges they faced and the firefighters’ injuries.
It was a tense scene as first responders were greeted by neighbors screaming that children were trapped inside.
"When they arrived on location they were able to find heavy fire from the front of the house on the second floor," said Rochester Fire Lt. David Abdoch.
Abdoch said the initial call indicated people were trapped inside the home.
"So another fire company was called to assist with the search. While the company was on location performing the search on both the first and second floor those searches came up negative. Nobody was in the home at the time," Abdoch said.
He tells us one firefighter suffered second-degree burns to his arms.
"Due to the high heat, there was a firefighter who suffered burns at that fire. He went to the hospital and was evaluated, and later released," Abdoch said.
Four other firefighters were shocked when the high heat melted the wires’ insulation.
"While the firefighter were trying to extinguish the fire, they kept getting in contact with it, and receiving shocks from it," Abdoch said. "After receiving the shocks they spoke with "AMR" on scene, and they were evaluated on scene."
They too were released after being evaluated. Abdoch told News10NBC it took firefighters about 30 minutes to bring it under control.
"Due to the fire, and water damage Red Cross will be giving some assistance to the home," Abdoch said.
News10NBC talked to one person who lived at the home with her father. She didn’t want to go on camera. The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
The Rochester Fire Department is urging everyone to check to make sure their home has a working smoke detector and CO detector. If you need a new one, call 311.