Some Rochester-area colleges begin fall semester
ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WHEC) — Monday marked another "back to class" moment for several local college students, as SUNY Geneseo and Brockport, as well as Nazareth College, kicked off the fall semester.
For Naz, there are more than 600 first-year and transfer students coming in this fall.
All three institutions have implemented vaccine and mask requirements. Nazareth is requiring vaccinations for all students, faculty, and staff. We’ve learned 97% of its students are vaccinated, and the other 3% have received approved exemptions. Everyone has to wear a mask inside buildings, regardless of vaccination status.
As for the SUNY system, any student enrolled in in-person learning at any SUNY campus and its facilities must be vaccinated. The policy includes a grace period of up to 35 days to allow students to provide proof of vaccination or request a medical or religious exemption for campus review.
Staff and faculty are encouraged to get vaccinated.
Brockport is offering a series of vaccine clinics running through Thursday.
Elsewhere, the University of Rochester and the Rochester Institute of Technology have already begun instruction. St. John Fisher College is set to begin next Tuesday.
Happy #FDOC (First Day of Classes), Golden Eagles ?? pic.twitter.com/AS8KsiFNGC— SUNY Brockport (@Brockport) August 30, 2021
Happy first day of classes to our students, faculty, and staff! Have a great day, everyone. ???? pic.twitter.com/R0MfzpEhgB— SUNY Geneseo (@SUNYGeneseo) August 30, 2021
For all back-to-school stories, check out our Back to School In-Depth page.