SUNY schools nearing 100% vaccination compliance

[anvplayer video=”5059774″ station=”998131″]

BROCKPORT, N.Y. (WHEC) — There was another vaccine deadline Monday. On-campus SUNY students needed to prove they’re vaccinated.

SUNY Brockport says they’re excited to announce that right now, 96% of their on-campus students are either fully vaccinated or in the process. The other 4% are a few students who have an exemption. At this point, there are only two students that are "pending"

"We’re making a final attempt to work with them in an effort to avoid having to deregister them from face-to-face classes,” John Follaco said, the communications director for SUNY Brockport.

This vaccination policy was put in place at the end of August. Students that want to be on campus had 35 days to comply or request an exemption. Brockport campus officials have close to 6-thousand students total. They’re "amazed" by how willing students have been.

"We’re really pleased and thanks to the widespread availability of the vaccine this semester is a lot different, its more vibrant than what students experienced a year ago,” Follaco added.

Because Monroe County is still a high transmission area, everyone still has to mask up in all campus buildings. For those who have a completely remote class schedule.

"They are able to get an exemption for being fully remote, however, we’re not able to transition modalities of existing courses,” Follaco added.

News10NBC has reached out to the Geneseo campus and we’re told that as of today they are at 100% compliance for all in-person students. However, SUNY says they cannot mandate the vaccine for faculty and staff at this time.