TIMELINE: Daniel Prude was in Rochester for less than 15 hours

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WHEC) — When Daniel Prude, unconscious, not breathing, without a pulse and receiving CPR, was put into the back of an ambulance and taken to Strong Memorial Hospital it was 3:27 a.m. on Monday, March 23, he had been in the city for less than 15 hours.

Here is a timeline of what happened leading up to that moment.

March 22

8:35 a.m. – Buffalo

Daniel Prude is on a train from his hometown of Chicago, bound for Rochester. A police report from the Town of Depew Police says Prude was "refusing to listen to orders" and "continues to smoke on the train."

9:01 a.m. – Buffalo

Prude "left the train with no incident," and was last seen at a "bus stop."

11:49 a.m. – Buffalo

A family member calls Depew Police "looking for" Prude. The Depew Police report says Prude "suffers from ADHD & doesn’t have much or any money on him. No cell phone."

12:46 p.m. – Buffalo

Prude is located at a shelter in Buffalo called Harbor House.

Joe Prude, Daniel Prude’s brother, says he got a ride to Buffalo to pick up his brother and take him to his home in Rochester.

4:18 p.m. – Rochester

Joe says he called 911 because he was concerned his brother was having a "mental breakdown."
He says RPD made a mental health arrest of Daniel and took him to Strong Memorial Hospital. (The RPD Investigative Action Report dated April 17, says Prude was taken into custody for a MHA at "approximately 1900 hours" or 7 p.m.)

Approximately 9 p.m.

Joe says Daniel is discharged from the hospital and is driven from the hospital to Joe’s home by medical cab.

March 23

3:05 a.m.

A Rochester Police officer goes to Joe’s home after he called 911, concerned about Daniel’s well-being.

3:13 a.m.

Radio call directs RPD to Jefferson Avenue and West Main Street. "There’s a male with blood all over him telling the complainant he has (inaudible) and not wearing clothes." Joe responds on body camera video, "That’s my brother."

3:16 a.m.

An officer arrives at the corner of Jefferson Avenue and Dr. Samuel McCree Way and orders Daniel: "Hey, get on the ground. Get on the ground."

Daniel is handcuffed.

He follows police orders but also displays erratic behavior, screams at police and says, "Get the (expletive) away from me! Give me your gun. I need (inaudible). Give me your gun, I need it."

3:19 a.m.

Police put a spit bag over Daniel’s head. Body-worn camera video records police saying Daniel said he has coronavirus. The video shows Daniel spitting occasionally. He sits up and attempts to stand up.

3:20 a.m.

Three RPD officers approach Daniel and put their hands on him and say, "no, you’re going to sit down."

Officers pin him to the asphalt.

3:21 a.m.

RPD body-worn camera video shows an officer in a push-up stance with one hand on Daniel’s head and his other hand on his neck. Another officer has his knee pressed into the middle of his back.

3:22 a.m.

Daniel is unresponsive.

3:23 a.m.

An officer touches Daniel’s wrist, appearing to feel his pulse. He is rolled over on his side.

3:24 a.m.

EMT asks if he has a pulse. The answer is no.

EMT starts CPR.

3:27 a.m.

Daniel is put into the ambulance and taken to Strong Hospital Emergency.

3:59 a.m.

RPD officer returns to Joe’s house and says "So uh, we got, your brother’s at Strong… but the bosses want me to hang out here with you until they figure some more stuff out." The body camera video shows the police never tell Joe what happened to his brother.

March 30

Daniel Prude is taken off life support and pronounced dead.

8:22 p.m.

The Monroe County Medical Examiner completes the autopsy and rules Prude’s death a "homicide."

The cause of death is listed as "complications of asphyxia in the setting of physical restraint, excited delirium and acute phencyclidine (PCP) intoxication."

April 16

RPD is advised by the Monroe County District Attorney’s Office that the New York State Attorney General’s Office is handling the investigation based on an executive order by Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

April 27

The RPD Investigative Action Report says an internal investigation began at 9:10 a.m. on March 23 into an "MHA/Burglary". The report says the suspect, Daniel Prude, "lost consciousness during the incident while officers were stabilizing him on the ground."

Based on interviews with witnesses, police officer reports, body camera video and surveillance video, the conclusion of the report says "the officers’ actions and conduct displayed when dealing with Prude appear to be appropriate and consistent with their training."

July 21

The family of Daniel Prude file a document in New York State Surrogate Court in Rochester. Under "Cause of Action" the document says "Potential wrongful death lawsuit."

Aug. 4

Mayor Lovely Warren says she learns about the body-worn camera video.

Sept. 2

Free the People Roc, a chapter of Black Lives Matter, calls a news conference on the steps of City Hall alerting the public to the death of Daniel Prude.

Sept. 3

Warren reprimands Chief La’Ron Singletary and suspends seven police officers with pay. Warren says she was told by the New York State Attorney General’s Office not to speak about the case. The AG’s case says it never asked the mayor not to speak about the case.