Update: FBI says they will not return to scene of search related to Drexel on Monday

Update: The FBI says that they will not be returning to the scene of the search related to Brittanee Drexel on Monday. They say that they’ve "made strides" and have progressed the investigation over the past few days.

The FBI also said that they would not talk about what they found or did not find.


As day two of the renewed search for missing Chili teenager Brittanee Drexel continued in South Carolina, Brittanee’s mother was speaking out as she anxiously waits for answers.

"I’m just feeling really anxious to see if anything has been found," says Dawn Pleckan, Brittanee’s mother.

She spoke as the second day of this renewed search for her daughter continued. The FBI and local authorities were still working on Saturday afternoon in a wooded area in Georgetown, about 40 minutes south of Myrtle Beach. A dozen or more cars had come and gone throughout the day. Heavy equipment was also been brought in: a backhoe to dig in an area near the road.

Still, investigators wouldn’t say what they’re looking for, or why they are looking in the location they were. By nightfall, the FBI had ended its search, although they told News10NBC’s Brett Davidsen that they would resume their search on Sunday. They also told Davidsen that they will have additional large equipment to help clear the area.

Pleckan says she received a courtesy call on Friday from Myrtle Beach Police to let her know they were conducting a search, but she says they didn’t provide any other details.

She says she’s not sure she’s prepared for what they might find. An FBI agent testified in court last fall that an informant named Da’Shaun Taylor had told investigators that Drexel had been kidnapped and killed.

"It’s like a hurry up and wait situation," she says in a phone interview with News10NBC’s Brett Davidsen.

"It’s nerve-wracking. It’s frustrating."

"I know this is going to bring a resolution, but i just don’t think I’m ready for it. It’s like a roller coaster ride… you have your ups and downs."

The search area is close to a street called Foxfire Court. Neighbors watched and wondered about what might have happened in their community.

"It’s hitting home- close to home now," says Rhodia Gilliard, "Like I said, not much goes on around here."

Another woman, whose property backs up to the dirt road, didn’t want to give her name. However, she told News10NBC that she’s lived here nearly her whole life, and says the only things down there are a few abandoned trailers.

"It’s really just, you know– nobody never be back here, you know… except the cars that come back here and sell drugs," she says.

"I think that’s what they do."

Kim Standridge, who also lives nearby, agrees.

"It’s very sketchy," she says.

Still, Standridge says she has been following the case closely for nearly eight years, and she hopes that the family can finally get closure.

In those eight years, a lot has changed.

Her mother- formerly Dawn Drexel- recently re-married. She says her husband has been a great source of comfort and support. She is remaining in Rochester, reluctant to come down to South Carolina unless or until authorities find something.

She has seen searches like these before.

She is hopeful that this time authorities will find something that gives her answers about what happened to her daughter.

"I don’t think you ever get closure on losing a child," she says, "you get resolution to what happened."