UPDATE: Two Buffalo officers released from hospital after being shot

[anvplayer video=”5099486″ station=”998131″]

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WHEC) — Two of the Buffalo police officers who were hit by bullets on Tuesday were released from the hospital, said Buffalo Mayor Bryon Brown. The third underwent a 2-hour surgery and is in stable condition.

The shootout where the officers were injured was Tuesday night. One officer had serious injuries, another was shot in the arm, and the third was shot in a bullet-resistant vest.

Here’s News10NBC’s Emily Putnam with more:

All three officers are expected to be physically okay.

There are two suspects in custody. One was taken to Buffalo police headquarters after the chase. The other was hit by police gunfire and was taken to the hospital as well.

It started with a routine traffic stop that turned into a police chase all over, and outside of, Buffalo city limits.

When officers tried to conduct the traffic stop, the suspect car sped off up Niagara Street which is north of the downtown area, along the Niagara River. They made it out to the town of West Seneca and eventually ended up back in the city.

Police tell us that during the chase, someone inside of the suspect car let a person out of the car before firing at officers, hitting all three multiple times. The chase ended near Ferry Street and Fillmore Avenue when officers shot one of the suspects.

The Buffalo police commissioner says it was ultimately a bullet-proof vest that saved one of the officer’s life. He gave us an update on their conditions.

"One went into surgery, and we’re happy to report is out of surgery, and in stable condition at this time, Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia said.

“We have two other officers that were shot. One was shot in his bullet-resistant vest, and the vest worked, thank God. The other officer was shot in the arm and the bicep and appears grazed in the ear as well. He’s in good spirits and is doing well."

Again, everyone involved in this incident is expected to recover from their injuries. It’s not clear how many rounds of gunfire were exchanged during the shoot-out, or if there were any other suspects involved.