WATCH: Lightning strike sparks Webster house fire
WEBSTER, N.Y. (WHEC) — A lightning strike caught on camera started a house fire in Webster early Friday morning.
Firefighters responded to the scene on Sunningdale Rise at around 1:30 a.m. Friday. At least four departments were called in to help put the fire out.
News10NBC obtained a neighbor’s home security camera that captured the moment a lightning bolt struck the home, starting the fire. Mobile users: click here to watch.
That same neighbor, Isabella Marlin, just happened to be awake at the time and not only noticed the fire but saved her neighbor’s life.
Marlin says she could see the fire from her room at around 1 a.m. While her family called 911, she ran to the burning home and started pounding on her neighbor’s door.
She says it took her several minutes to get her sleeping neighbor’s attention.
"I feel like everyone should be doing that," Marlin said. "It shouldn’t be just like a hero thing, everyone should do it. Even if you don’t know the person, it’s a nice thing to do. It’s the right thing to do."
The Monroe County Fire Bureau tells News10NBC the strike hit the roof of the home. News10NBC Photojournalist Al Fulton said the roof was destroyed by the flames.
The home is destroyed and so are several vehicles parked on the side of the house.
Everyone made it out of the home safely and no first responders were injured.