Bello, Mendoza address COVID surge, reopening of schools

WHECTV
Created: April 15, 2021 02:51 PM

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WHEC) — Monroe County Executive Adam Bello and Public Health Commissioner Michael Mendoza Thursday held their weekly COVID-19 update over Zoom.

Bello said that the county is seeing a surge again. The seven-day average of the daily positive COVID-19 test rate has been more than 3% for the past several days.

As more school districts release their reopening plans, many say students in grades 6-12 will continue hybrid or fully remote learning.

News10NBC Investigative Reporter Jennifer Lewke asked Mendoza why that is when earlier in the year, Mendoza said schools seemed to be one of the safest places for people to be as far as COVID-19 spread.

Mendoza said right now, more people teenagers are testing positive for COVID-19, so schools are in a very different situation than they were in during the fall.

With many school districts welcoming elementary school students back for in-person learning four or five days a week, Mendoza said if school districts violate COVID-19 safety guidelines, they should be reported to the Monroe County Department of Public Health (MCDPH).

He said if necessary, the MCDPH will act swiftly.

You can watch the full press conference in the video in the player above.


Copyright 2021 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company