Good Question: Where is the best place to put a life-saving device?

Brennan Somers
Updated: February 25, 2020 11:23 AM
Created: February 24, 2020 07:28 PM

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WHEC) — News10NBC is protecting your family from the "silent killer” in homes and businesses. 

Carbon monoxide poisoning kills hundreds of people every year and thousands more end up in the hospital. It's caused when fossil fuels don't burn correctly. Carbon monoxide (CO) alarms can save your life, but where's the best place for them?

You asked, and News10NBC's Brennan Somers got answers from Rick Tracy, the safety education coordinator at the Brighton Fire Department.

Somers: "What are you telling people in 2020 about where they should be putting them in their homes?"

Tracy: “Carbon monoxide actually is so close to the same density as air that it blends in with the air. So, what we tell people as far as placement of the CO alarm is to follow the guidelines of the manufacturer.”

Somers: "You follow the instructions and rules as long as they're in your room and your home you’ll be protected?"

Tracy: “We recommend that they're on each floor of your home, including the basement. A lot of times you'll observe that they are placed low, and that's usually because that's where there's electricity. A lot of CO alarms run on electricity with a battery back up.”

Somers: "How about two-in-one or all-in-one alarms?"

Tracy: “Again, as long as they are installed correctly according to the specifications with a unit, that's absolutely fine. There is a law in New York about having carbon monoxide alarms in commercial buildings and public buildings. It's based on the death of a little girl years ago called Amanda's Law.”

Somers: "I think something to compare this to, because this is the 'silent killer' and it’s odorless, you can't see it and can't smell it, is stepping outside and noticing a gas leak that smells like rotten eggs?"

Tracy: “Exactly. Without it, you're never gonna know. You would never know.”

Snow buildup outside your home around vents also causes a lot of carbon monoxide issues this time of year, so make sure you do what you can to clear it. 

Local departments work with the Red Cross in getting alarms where they are needed. 

Through the new foundation named after beloved Gates firefighter Joe Manuse, who died last year, free alarms and detectors are provided to local families.

__________


If you have a question you'd like answered, send Brennan an email to GoodQuestion@whec.com.


Copyright 2020 - WHEC-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Comment on Facebook